Cristiano Ronaldo will not feature for Juventus against Atalanta after Maurizio Sarri dropped him from the squad that will travel to Bergamo
The 34-year-old has been impressive during the international break, scoring a hat-trick in Portugal’s 7-0 dismantling of Lithuania before adding one more against Luxembourg.
However, the former Real Madrid superstar has been dealing with a niggling injury that has prevented him from performing at the highest level.
But, Ronaldo has been withdrawn twice in a row by Sarri before heading to the international break, showing clear signs of frustration with the manager’s decision on both of those occasions.
Now, according to the Daily Mirror, Cristiano won’t be able to help his teammates in their clash against Atalanta at the Stadio Atleti Azzurri d’Italia due to Sarri’s decision to leave him on the sidelines.
Cristiano Ronaldo ruled out of Juventus' game against Atalanta despite scoring 99th international goal last week https://t.co/zpC1zRKLt2— The Sun Football ⚽ (@TheSunFootball) November 22, 2019
The Italian tactician has explained the reason to exclude his star forward from Saturday’s trip to Bergamo.
“There’s no need to clarify anything with Ronaldo. Certain players need to be left to cool off,” Sarri said.
“The problem is that, on Tuesday, he told us that he was still not feeling good. Our objective is to have him back for the Champions League. I’m 99 percent sure he won’t make it tomorrow.”
Although he remains Juventus’ top goalscorer this term, a tally of five goals scored in ten Serie A outings is well below his standards.