Emre Can has revealed his frustration with the omission from Juventus’ Champions League squad
Currently on duty with the Germany national team, the 25-year-old has found himself left out of Maurizio Sarri’s 22-man squad for the upcoming Champions League campaign.
The midfielder who arrived at the Allianz Stadium from Liverpool as a free agent in summer 2018 registered 37 top-flight outings for the Bianconeri last season.
Therefore, the fact that the new Old Lady manager ruled him out for the new Champions League season seems unreasonable, especially given his contribution in his maiden Serie A campaign.
Devastated by the coach’s choice and the way the club has opted to communicate him the news, the player has refused to hide his emotions.
“The fact that I am not in the Champions League squad is extremely shocking for me, mainly because I was promised something different last week,” he told The Guardian.
“There were talks with other clubs [before the transfer window closed], and one of the conditions for me to stay was to be part of the Champions League squad.
“On Tuesday they phoned me and told me, in a conversation that didn’t even last a minute, that I was not on the list, and they didn’t give an explanation.
“That does make me angry and furious because I think that I played well last season, above all in the Champions League.
“I really can’t understand this and will now see what I decide to do from here, and I will seek talks with the club next week.”
As things stand, the ex-Bayer Leverkusen man will headline Juventus‘ omissions for Europe’s most elite club competition along with the likes of Mario Mandzukic and Giorgio Chiellini.