Pep Guardiola has outlined Manchester City’s transfer plan for the January transfer window.
Manchester City had been busy strengthening their backline during the previous transfer window. The likes of Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias arrived for a combined fee of £101million. Meanwhile, versatile forward Ferran Torres joined the Etihad outfit from Valencia for £20.7m. The Sky Blues have rarely had a quiet transfer window since the wealthy Qatari owners purchased the club in 2008. However, such a scenario could well take place this winter, according to Pep Guardiola.
“We will not sign any deal during the winter transfer market,” Guardiola told beIN Sports, via Goal.
“We did not discuss this, but we will end the season with the players that we have now.”
Since Guardiola took charge in 2016, Manchester City have splashed out north of £700million on reinforcing the roster. The majority of his spending spree has been allocated to increasing City’s defensive power, with Aymeric Laporte, Benjamin Mendy, Kyle Walker, Danilo, Joao Cancelo, Ruben Dias, and Ake all signed by the former Bayern Munich manager.
Guardiola’s heavy investments have massively paid off this season, as Manchester City have conceded fewer goals in the Premier League than any other side (13). Indeed, it’s safe to say that their rock-solid backline has contributed to the Sky Blues’ relentless efforts to return in contention for the league title. Manchester City currently sits just two points adrift of cross-town rivals Manchester United and have a game in hand on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team. That’s particularly impressive given the way Guardiola’s men have opened the season.
Pep Guardiola will be given £200m to spend on new players in the summer transfer window, according to The Telegraph 🗣— Goal (@goal) January 17, 2021
Erling Haaland and Romelu Lukaku are said to be on their list of potential targets ✍️ pic.twitter.com/idqWcReh5J
The one thing the City fans have been worried about lately is a lack of reliable attacking options. Sergio Aguero has missed the majority of the season due to various physical setbacks. Gabriel Jesus, who is Guardiola’s second-choice striker, has also been absent after contracting coronavirus and has failed to impress when fit. As such, the Spanish tactician has often been forced to deploy Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling, and Ferran Torres as makeshift strikers.
In this regard, many have expected to see Guardiola dig deep into the club’s pockets to bring in a new attacking option. Kingsley Coman of Bayern Munich and Harry Kane of Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as potential candidates to link up with the Premier League heavyweights. But, if Guardiola is to be trusted, City will wait for the summer before making another big-money purchase.