Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso insists the club will not sell star defender Kalidou Koulibaly unless his asking price is met
Koulibaly has emerged as a top defensive target for Manchester City, with Manchester United and several other Europe’s elite clubs lurking in the shadows.
Heavily linked with a move away from Napoli over the past couple of years, the 29-year-old centre-back also seems to be enthusiastic about the idea of crossing over to the Premier League.
Pep Guardiola has already named Kouliably his number one priority despite bringing in Nathan Ake from Bournemouth only last month.
Talks between the clubs are well underway, but the Senegalese star’s asking price represents a stumbling block.
Napoli bigwig Aurelio De Laurentiis continues to hold out for his £90million valuation of his best defender. A substantial figure, particularly in light of the financial uncertainty caused by the coronavirus crisis.
Napoli have told head coach Gennaro Gattuso that Kalidou Koulibaly will be leaving this summer. Suggestion is that Napoli's asking price will be €70m/€80m at present.@ManCity are very interested and the centre-half is very keen on joining the club.— Man City Report (@cityreport_) June 30, 2020
[via @DuncanCastles] pic.twitter.com/rSEuqWJTC4
Parties remain way apart in their stance on Koulibaly’s price tag, and Gennaro Gattuso confirms Napoli will not abandon their position.
“Koulibaly has a precise asking price, and if the club doesn’t get the money it is asking for, then he won’t leave,” he said, as relayed by Spanish outlet AS.
Widely-regarded as one of the best defenders in Europe’s top-five leagues, Kouliably has accrued over 246 appearances for Napoli since joining from Genk in 2014.